The School Newspaper of Great Falls High School.

INIWA

Angry Joe vs. Nintendo

Holden Schafer, Journalist

Angry Joe Vargas, a Let’s Play player (people who play games for their viewers entertainment) got himself into a bit of trouble with the Nintendo company and their rules recently.

Vargas mostly reviews video games, but Nintendo hit his Let’s Play of Mario Party 10 with copyright infringement and took all of his ad revenue. After all this, Vargas took his video down and posted a tweet saying “I hope @NintendoAmerica enjoyed the free ad revenue and coverage I generated for them. It will be my last Nintendo video.”

That wasn’t really true. After the post he followed that up with another Nintendo video. This time it was an 11 minute rant against Nintendo’s YouTube Policies. In the rant, he accuses the company of being greedy, and says it should be enough that he purchased the game and the console, and he should be able to share his experiences with who ever he chooses, however he chooses.

Nintendo announced these policies back in January of 2015.

For those not in the know about Nintendo’s policies, they state, “In the past, advertising proceeds that could be received for videos that included Nintendo-copyrighted content (such as gameplay videos) went to Nintendo, according to YouTube rules. Now, through this service, Nintendo will send you a share of these advertising proceeds for any YouTube videos or channels containing Nintendo-copyrighted content that you register.” The approved games are on a whitelist.

The whitelist also gives Nintendo control over that channel. Players cannot post things outside a list of approved games. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, and Mario Kart 8 are only a few of the approved titles let’s players can pick from. They cannot play games such as Halo, Assassin’s Creed, or GTA V.