The School Newspaper of Great Falls High School.

INIWA

Bison Boys Punch Ticket to State with Win over Senior

Justyn Martinko, Sports Writer

A trip to the state tournament was at stake when Great Falls High took on Billings Senior Thursday night at Swarthout Fieldhouse. The Bison lead the whole game, their largest lead being 15 points, but they only escaped with a narrow 75-73 win, which was enough to earn them the number four seed in Bozeman next Thursday.

“It’s a new feeling every year,” said Bison junior Brendan Howard. “It’s something you can never describe, but it feels really good.”

Howard scored a game high 27 points in the Bison’s win, but it wasn’t all smooth sailing for the boys.

The Bison went into the locker room at the half with a 44-33 lead, but the Broncs would not go away. Senior made 5 three’s in the third quarter, cutting the Bison lead to 7, heading into the fourth quarter.

The Broncs kept chipping away at the Bison’s lead, cutting it all the way down to two points with just under two minutes left in the game.

The Bison were able to fend off the comeback attempt thanks to some clutch free-throw shooting by Daniel Silverstein and Kellan Romsa.

Silverstein was big for the Bison all game, as he scored 16 points in the win.

“Daniel was huge, (he) had a nice game and hit some big free throws late,” said Bison head coach Bob Howard. “He’s a great addition for us.”

The Bison boys will take on Missoula Hellgate, the number one seed out of the Western AA conference. The quarterfinal game will take place next Thursday in Bozeman on the campus of MSU. The Bison hope to duplicate last year’s upset of the Knights. Tip off for the boys game will be at 1:30.

The girls, also going to state, will face the 3rd seed out of the Western AA Conference as their quarter final opponent. That game will be at 9:00 AM Thursday on the MSU campus.